Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Mid-Season TV Shows   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 01:21 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Sarah Michelle Gellar

The Crazy Ones Episode Discussion: 1x08 “The Stan Wood Account”

CBS Press Express | SIMON’S PARTNER, GORDON LEWIS, FORCES HIM TO GIVE UP HIS VERY FIRST CLIENT WHEN IT CONFLICTS WITH ANOTHER ACCOUNT, ON “THE CRAZY ONES,” THURSDAY, NOV. 14

Brad Garrett Guest Stars as Simon and Sydney’s Partner, Gordon Lewis, and Ed Asner Guest Stars as the Beloved Commercial Character, Mr. Finger

“The Stan Wood Account” – Simon is intent to make things right when his partner, Gordon Lewis, forces him to give up his very first client when it conflicts with another account, on THE CRAZY ONES, Thursday, Nov. 14 (9:01 – 9:31 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Brad Garrett guest stars as Simon and Sydney’s Partner, Gordon Lewis, and Ed Asner guest stars as the beloved commercial character, Mr. Finger.

CHEAT TWEET: #BradGarrett gets #CRAZY w/ @RobinWilliams as the 3rd partner in LewisRoberts+Roberts @CrazyOnesCBS 11/14 9:01pm

♥Kate Mansi♥

Daytime Emmy Winner

Jaime Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:57 AM
Captain Canary

thanks for the new thread

sounds like a good ep.
Star Trek Fantasy Trivia~ LoT Fantasy Trivia ~ Legends of Tomorrow 3 Year Anniversary
Make Them Laugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:44 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Sarah Michelle Gellar

I loved Brad Garrett on tonight.

I'm glad he will be back next week too.

I liked him and Simon going up against each other.

Poor Sydney getting kissed by Mr. Finger like that.

♥Kate Mansi♥

Daytime Emmy Winner

Old 11-15-2013, 12:24 AM
Loyal Fan

I really enjoyed this episode. One of the best so far, IMO. It wasn't as haha funny as last weeks, but there was some great character stuff with Gordon, Simon, Sydney and Andrew.
tslpsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:46 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Sarah Michelle Gellar

I liked this one better than the last.

Maybe because I love Brad Garrett.

I ended up not fond of Josh Groban on there.

My mom called and I missed part of it.

What happened with Sydney and Mr. Finger.

Did she find out he was just a dirty old man?

♥Kate Mansi♥

Daytime Emmy Winner

Old 11-16-2013, 08:23 AM
Captain Canary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime Bee (View Post)
I liked this one better than the last.

Maybe because I love Brad Garrett.

I ended up not fond of Josh Groban on there.

My mom called and I missed part of it.

What happened with Sydney and Mr. Finger.

Did she find out he was just a dirty old man?
I'm betting she did because when push comes to shove... Andrew cannot keep a secret
That Mr. Finger was a bad storyline anyway only use to prop the selling of all the cars
Star Trek Fantasy Trivia~ LoT Fantasy Trivia ~ Legends of Tomorrow 3 Year Anniversary
Old 11-16-2013, 09:21 AM
Loyal Fan

I disagree with the Mr. Finger story being pointless. It brought out some unresolved feelings Andrew had about Sydney leading him on, in his mind, IMO. I think the writers are setting up for Andrew and Sydney to have a big blow out in the future about it maybe. It was sort of similar to how Sydney idealized the high school crush who turned out to be using her. Andrew looked up to Mr. Finger and he turned out to be not what he expected.

I thought Mr. Finger was sort of a sad yet manipulative character. He knew some feel sorry for old people, rather than just see them as people; and used it to his advantage -- because that's the only way he feels like an old man like him could get attention. It was kinda a sad really, but kinda interesting too, I thought.

I also like the potential of the antagonist role Gordon will bring to the series. Simon and Gordon sort of remind me of Alan Shore and Denny Crane in that they are both best friends and adversaries. I also liked the ethical dilemma Lewis put Simon in.

Last edited by tslpsh; 11-16-2013 at 09:28 AM
Old 11-17-2013, 12:01 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quick evaluation:

Pros:
- Andrew/Sydney seems to be developing nicely
- Murder, She Wrote reference

Cons:

-Serious lack of Sydney
-Serious lack of Sydney+Simon interactions
- Sydneys boyfriend of the week formula is getting old and threatens to cheapen her character
- Too much similarities with last weeks ep
-Old man-young girl relationship? I’ve seen Suburban Girl thank you….
-Wasn’t that terribly funny overal

Probably the worst ep so far. I even checked how much left of the ep once. I shouldn’t do that while watching a less than 30 min episode.

Seriously, three eps in a row dealing with Syds love life?!?

The creators seem to have a problem spacing their episodes. Just because you are running an episodic series it doesn’t mean that you can show your eps in a random order without any logic. Revealing Sydney/Andrew too early and now this? This is what killed Firefly….

Or is this the direction where Syds character is going? Constantly being saved from men trying to prey on her gullibility? Because that’d be really problematic.

The last episode wasn’t the best either but at least it was saved by always awesome Simon+Sydney. I can’t really say anything good about this episode however. Even She is so Europian had at least a few funny moments at least and wasn’t boring.

The only way I can imagine somebody enjoying this is if he/she is a really huge fan of the guest stars and the sheer fact that they are on-screen made them happy.

Everybody else just forget it.

Hope they do better next time.

Last edited by Morbius; 11-17-2013 at 01:58 AM
Morbius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:58 AM
Loyal Fan

I get what you're saying. I do agree that three episodes in a row of Sydney being dupped by guys is too much. (I actually thought of the 3, this one had the most potential, but they didn't do as much with it as I had hoped.) I don't mind some of the lost little girl insecure angle, but I feel like there needs to be balance, cause other than the pilot (where Sydney got to save Simon), it seems like it is Sydney as some lost little girl doing something foolish and Simon having to give her some sage advice. On the other hand, I guess one could argue she's the one with more psycological depth compared to the others so far because of this, even compared to Simon. I've noticed most of the character aspect of the plots tend to be fueled by Sydney's insecurities, or Andrew's. Sometimes Simon's, but not as much.

I'd actually like to see another episode fueled more by Simon's insecurities and Sydney being the calming influence or give him advice.

I don't think this was the worst episode thus far though. I thought this was much better than the Hugging the Now or the She's So European episodes. I liked Simon's ethical dilemma on loyalty to the client vs profitability for the company, and his relationship with Gordon. No, it didn't have a lot of Sydney, but the past couple episodes have been very Sydney-centric. My favorite stuff of the episode was with Andrew though.

Last edited by tslpsh; 11-17-2013 at 09:26 AM
Old 11-17-2013, 10:46 AM
Captain Canary

I was in a bad mood this morning...but watching a few past eps of this show put me in a better mood...
Old 11-17-2013, 06:47 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Sarah Michelle Gellar

I did want more Sydney and missed Simon and Sydney's heart to heart.

♥Kate Mansi♥

Daytime Emmy Winner

Old 11-19-2013, 09:44 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
I actually thought of the 3, this one had the most potential, but they didn't do as much with it as I had hoped.
Maybe I'd have been more excited about this setup if I haven't seen a certain whole length movie about Sarah dating an aging Alec Baldwin before. :/

Seriously nobody even saw that movie on these boards so why did they think that doing exactly the same thing will be popular?

Quote:
I don't mind some of the lost little girl insecure angle, but I feel like there needs to be balance, cause other than the pilot (where Sydney got to save Simon), it seems like it is Sydney as some lost little girl doing something foolish and Simon having to give her some sage advice.
Exactly. Syd was an intelligent, efficient, strong businesswoman who was even sort of an ice queen back then. A worthy business partner and great support for her father.

But now? She is just a big child. I can't even imagine her going to college as she claimed in one episode TBH

But still, it wasn't so bad as long as she was only like that when she was alone with Simon. Its great that she trusts her father so much and nobody knows her more than Simon anyway so why hide her feelings?

And again these moments were probably the best parts of the whole series both because of how rare this kind of relationship is on TV and because of how damn good Robin and Sarah are together. So yeah while it'd be definitely awesome if it was a little less one- sided I didn't feel like mentioning it because it didn't feel important compared to how awesome is Simon+Sydney all things considered.

Now on the other hand she is like this in 99% of the episodes. Now every characters job seems to be to babysit her and watch her every step lest her naivity gets her in trouble.
This is completely wrong and hurts her character immensely.

But an interesting twist is that even when she makes the right call and tries to be careful the writers/fate/karma PUNISHES her because ....hell if I know why. Because always place corporate interests before your personal happiness? Seriously what's up with that?

And really the one thing I hoped for before this whole thing started was to not let SMGs character be exclusively about sex and relationships.

She can do so many things with a character that it'd be really unfortunate if thats all they want her to play I thought. And in earlier eps I was happy because it seemed that Syd really won't be about that. But now I'm sorely disappointed with where this is going.

Quote:
On the other hand, I guess one could argue she's the one with more psycological depth compared to the others so far because of this, even compared to Simon.
Yes and I'd be very happy about this if only her development went to the right direction. I know we don't agree on this but IMO Hugging the Now was the sweet spot when she had enough depth but still wasn't watered down by being too emotional. They should've left it there and then either start developing other aspects of her character or just let her rest for a few eps and focus on others needing more development like Zach and Lauren.

Quote:
I liked Simon's ethical dilemma on loyalty to the client vs profitability for the company, and his relationship with Gordon.
A little build up would've really nice TBH. Because right now I felt that that whole storyline was about this "Gordon" we've never met before bitching about some bill or somesuch we've likewise never heard about before and Simon is trying to protect some client whose existance we likewise had no clue about. So my reaction to the whole thing was "Why the hell should I care about any of this?" We see Simon in a dilemma yeah great but we can't possibly feel or symphatize with him.

Thats why I'm suggesting to keep these stories simple and to center them on the main characters. Because the episodes are barely 30 min long, 70% of them at least should be jokes and because of the shows episodic nature you can't really use story arcs to develop complex stories.

IMO they either try to make this more simple or drop the sitcom pretense and go full drama. It won't work otherwise. Hugging the Now and this episode are prime examples why.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:57 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Sarah Michelle Gellar

Wow you are really down on the show now.

♥Kate Mansi♥

Daytime Emmy Winner

Old 11-19-2013, 10:48 PM
Part-Time Fan

Sorry I really didn't want to be harsh. The sky is not falling yet, its just two eps I didn't like thats all.

I'm just a bit pessimistic when it comes to writing these days with so many bad writing all over the place.

Its just that this is the first ep I have nothing nice to say about. I mean even the previous one had the songs and the Simon+Sydney hug and backstory and hell I even liked the Australia bashing. But then it also had the sillyness about Syd being punished for rightfully turning down the creepy stalker. It completely killed it for me TBH.

And now we have this episode.

Probably just bad luck I'm still eagerly waiting what'll happen next, I just have nothing nice to say ATM.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:55 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Sarah Michelle Gellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbius (View Post)
Sorry I really didn't want to be harsh. The sky is not falling yet, its just two eps I didn't like thats all.

I'm just a bit pessimistic when it comes to writing these days with so many bad writing all over the place.

Its just that this is the first ep I have nothing nice to say about. I mean even the previous one had the songs and the Simon+Sydney hug and backstory and hell I even liked the Australia bashing. But then it also had the sillyness about Syd being punished for rightfully turning down the creepy stalker. It completely killed it for me TBH.

And now we have this episode.

Probably just bad luck I'm still eagerly waiting what'll happen next, I just have nothing nice to say ATM.
Well I've been reading on TVbythenumbers and it talks about how TCO most likely is gonna be up against Two and half men to get renewed.

They think that CBS will give Two and half men a final season.

Both shows are the most expensive for the network.

♥Kate Mansi♥

Daytime Emmy Winner

Reply   Post New Thread